Thursday, July 28, 2011
From The Publisher:
Mackenzie and her husband, Governor Gray London, have struggled for ten years to have a child and are now enjoying a sweet season of life—anticipating the coming reelection and sending their precious daughter, Maddie, off to kindergarten—when a tragedy tears their world apart. As the entire state mourns, Mackenzie falls into a grief that threatens to swallow her whole.
Though his heart is also broken, Jeremiah realizes that his gift of gardening is about far more than pulling weeds and planting flowers. It’s about tending hearts as well. As he uses the tools that have been placed in his hands, he gently begins to cultivate the hard soil of Mackenzie’s heart, hoping to help her realize what it took him years to discover.
A Southern tale of loss, love, and living, The First Gardner reminds us that all of life is a gift, but our heart is the most valuable gift of all.
Monday, July 25, 2011
- The First Gardener (for review, loving it so far!)
- Scrubbing Bubbles One Step Toilet Cleaner
- Sweet Sanctuary (also for review)
- Organize in Style coupon book, not sure how I got a second one of these, but I'm not complaining!
- Glad with Febreze trash bag sample...from vocalpoint. I haven't use this yet, but it smells better than any trash bag I've ever used;)
- Jif To Go coupon for free 8 pack. This was supposed to be a sample only, I was pleasantly surprised!!!
- Root Beer Float Scentsy Bar- Oh my goodness, this smells amazing! I LOVE it...it's only available until the end of the month though, so if it sounds like something you'd like, hurry and stock up!!!
- Scentsy Scent Circle (these were both FB prizes)
Saturday, July 23, 2011
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Monday, July 18, 2011
- Oceanspray Cranberry Juice (mm, I love cranberry juice:)) Also included coupon.
- Scrubbing Bubbles package that had Fantastik All Purpose Spray, Auto Shower Cleaner and Toilet Drop In Cleaners...plus a cute little rubber scrubbing bubble that my son has claimed! This was a FB win, and I had been trying to get one for several weeks with no luck...finally, I made it through, these things go QUICK!!
- Canary List (for review)
- Scott coupons
- Michellena coupons (for free product!!)
- Head and Shoulders sample
- Scentsy Peach A La Mode Bar
- Magazine: Bazzar, Parents and Food and Wine
- Tub o Towels sample
- Era coupon
- Florida's Natural coupons
- Happy Birthday Scentsy Bar
- Sunkissed Citrus Scentsy Scent Circle
Saturday, July 16, 2011
Monday, July 11, 2011
- Woman's Day Magazine
- Organize In Style Coupon Booklet
- Coupon for a FREE Suave Body Wash (I don't even remember signing up for this one!)
- Coupon for FREE NY Brand Garlic Bread product...yum!
- Sample of Shout Color Catcher
- Full size Dove Deodorant (again one I don't recall signing up for!)
- Happy Birthday Scentsy Bar (Won from Facebook. This is my favorite freebie of the week!! It smells amazing- just like cake icing...I haven't warmed it yet though, I'm afraid it will make me want cake! ha!!)
Friday, July 8, 2011
Monday, July 4, 2011
"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." ~Elmer Davis
I wish I could say that we had some big, exciting plans for the day, but we don't! Being on a military base, of course there is a big celebration, but taking my son to such a thing would not be a wise idea. Thankfully, we are able to see the fireworks from our backyard, so we will enjoy our patriotic Bomb Pops and enjoy the view while avoiding the crowds and noise, just me and my little man!!
Speaking of my little man, I just had to share this photo from exactly 3 years ago today, Shaun's first 4th of July, at exactly 11 months old! We were home for the summer while my husband was deployed and went with my wonderful mother in law to the local celebration, which happened to be located at a park with a mini train depot... This was Shaun's very first train ride, and perhaps where the addiction began;)
And now, because I don't like making multiple posts on one day, haha, onto mailbox Monday. This is actually from the last 2 weeks, both big weeks, so lots of exciting things to share!
- 20 $1 Kandoo Coupons (Oh my goodness! That's a lot of coupons!)
- 6 (I believe) Turkey Hill Coupons
- 2 Dixie Coupons
- Bayer 20ct
- $2 off Tide Stain Release
- $2 Pull Ups Wipes (which made them free! Although, we have to buy the princess boxes since my Shaun is terrified of Cars!)
- $5 off Sunkist Citrus Coupon
- Free John Frieda Full Repair Coupon
- 10 pack Tide Stain Release (FB giveaway)
- Pull Ups Wipes Sample
- Tide Sample (though it's not HE so I can't use it, but it came with the Stain Release)
- Unilever Coupon Sheet
- 2 Pictsweet Veggies Coupons- 1 for a free bag frozen veggies, one for free steamables
- 2 Pepperidge Farms coupons (good on any of their products)
- 2 Dannon Coupons
- Pampers Wipes Coupons
- EmergenC Samples and Coupons
- 2 Hot Pockets Coupons
- Free Bounce Product Coupon
- Gillete Fusion Proglide Razor
- Swiffer Duster
- Downy Unstoppables and Socks (I was so excited to try this! I used it on my towels, made them smell so fresh! Love it!! This isn't available in stores yet, I received this through Vocalpoint!)
- Crest Toothpaste Sample
- $5 off Bounty coupon
- Free Sunny D Coupon
- Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus Best of Both Worlds DVD (We redeemed some Disney Movie Rewards points for this one, and it was what my son chose! Haha. He got this on Saturday, and already has it memorized!!)
Saturday, July 2, 2011
As a Marine wife blogger. I've gotten many requests to share various organizations doing fundraising to support the troops. I do not always post these as I don't feel some of the companies are of any interest to most of you. I am going to work on a page eventually where I will share some of the various organizations and causes I support, as well as share these as they come to me, that way those that are interested can check occasionally for updates, and those that are not don't have it clogging your newsfeeds. Like I said, I hope to have this up sometime in the future. For now, here are a few that have been brought to my attention!
This one is great for you coffee (and tea) drinkers:
"Through September 12th The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf will donate $1 from each sale of its limited edition “Support from Home” blend ground coffee ($9.95), and “Support from Home” Hand-plucked 100% pure Ceylon tea ($8.95), to The Fisher House Foundation which provides resources to support injured veterans and their families. Customers are also encouraged to donate the bag or tea tin to troops overseas. Each package has a blank surface where the customer can write a heartfelt note to the soldier who will receive the coffee or tea."
This next one is only available in certain areas.
"ACTIVATE, the enhanced vitamin beverage for people with active lifestyles has joined the Pantry, Inc., the leading independently operated convenience store chain in the southeastern United States, for the “Salute Our Troops” campaign inviting customers in more than 1,600 Kangaroo Express convenience stores across 13 states to demonstrate united support for military personnel and their families. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, ACTIVATE and Kangaroo Express will invite store guests to make donations toward its $1 million fundraising goal. Funds will support the USO, celebrating 70 years of delivering programs, entertainment and other services to the military; Wounded Warrior Project, honoring and empowering injured servicemen and women; and National Guard family assistance programs in five states. During the campaign, ACTIVATE will be donating a portion of every bottle sold to the USO, Wounded Warrior Project and National Guard family assistance programs along with supporting Kangaroo Express stores with sampling and promoting the campaign on Facebook and Twitter."
Visit here for more information!
And finally, this one isn't a charity, but a Facebook page! I've mentioned several times about my addiction to Scentsy. I LOVE it. I read awhile back that when you smell certain smells on a regular basis, you get used to them and no longer smell them...even if it's bad! I became paranoid. So I was always burning candles...but being forgetful as I am, that was a disaster waiting to happen. That's why I'm so glad I found Scentsy...no more fears of a smelly house. If you haven't tried it yet, you need to head over to OMG Scents on Facebook, like the fan page and ask to join the private group for a chance at some awesome giveaways! She has a lot of them, so there are many chances to win and try it out for yourself. Who doesn't like giveaways right?
Now is a great time to purchase Scentsy as well with some awesome retired scents being brought back for the month of July only- including one of my favorites Orange Dreamsicle...and Root Beer Float, which I am anxiously waiting to try...doesn't that just sound like a 50s diner? Mmm, you all know of my 50s obsession, this sounds right up my alley! And while we're on the topic of charities, there are only a few short months left to buy the Autism Speaks warmer, so don't miss your chance to support and awesome cause. As an autism mommy, it's by far my favorite! So check it out!!
**I was in no way obligated or compensated to post any of these, though Activate was kind enough to send me a drink to try for myself.
Friday, July 1, 2011
Wow...really what would possess someone to say such a demeaning and hateful thing? I have written many times about the topic of 'the r word' and how even saying it not towards those with developmental disabilities is very hurtful and offensive. I even recently posted on my personal Facebook about my annoyance saying, " has seen the 'r-word' thrown out in too many FB statuses this morning. You wouldn't throw around racial slurs I'm sure, this word is no different in the eyes of many, myself included. Remember words may mean nothing to you, but they can be very hurtful to others..." and followed up with, " I've seen it a LOT this morning which is why I felt the need to say something... I truly believe that most people mean nothing by it and don't even realize that it is an insult, which is why unless its someone I am super close to, I don't say much and try not to take offense ...though I have privately called people out on special ed/short bus jokes. That crosses a line from not knowing to deliberately being hurtful. It was just bothering me this morning because I had seen it so many times."
The comment made by Tracy Morgan most certainly crosses the line of not knowing and being a downright bully. It is attitudes of the people like him that make me so worried about bullying my child could face in the future...just because he's autistic. I've had many comment to me why I feel so passionately about this as autism does not mean a child is retarded (I don't even like typing that out, but I do so to share what I've been asked). Those people are right, it doesn't. My child is incredibly brilliant. But that doesn't mean that there is not ignorance out there, the previous statement proves that. People with this mindset aren't really going to care how amazing a person is, how brilliant and sweet...no, they are going to see the label or disability and judge merely on that. It is truly sad.
In high school, I was lucky enough to be able to help a preschool boy with Down Syndrome. He was the sweetest little boy. Every morning my day would start with a hug from him and it absolutely made my day. He was an amazing little boy. At church camp, I was lucky enough to room and make friends with an amazing girl who was born without both legs. She played sports (not handicapped), slept on the top bunk, etc. She did not let her 'disability' stop her from doing anything she wanted to do. Not once did I see her feel sorry for herself. She was an amazing person and such an inspiration to myself and so many others. And most importantly, I have been so truly blessed to have been chosen to be a mother to an amazing little boy with autism. He has his struggles, but he is the most brilliant boy I've ever seen and he is truly my everything. I could not imagine loving him more. We've also been able to meet many other wonderful children on the spectrum and every single one of them is amazing. To say that any person who has special needs of any kind is less than others blows my mind because I've seen firsthand that it's just the opposite.
Tracy Morgan was right about one thing though. You don't mess with mommies whose children have disabilities. There is nothing stronger than a mother standing up for her child and in making such a statement, he has angered many.
I have shared the link many times, but I will share once again. If you haven't already, please consider taking the time to take the pledge to stop using the 'r word' and teach your children to do so as well. It's such a simple thing to do and really can make such a huge difference to many.
Spread The Word To End The Word